Solve- Seagate External Hard Drive Not Recognized/Working/Detected/Showing up Mac Error Message
How to Solve the Seagate External Hard Drive Not Showing/Recognized Up Mac
Summary:- Do you want to know how to resolve the Seagate external hard drive not showing up on your laptop or computer? This is a very common problem and here at TechSoftwareLogic, we have provided a 100% working guide to fix this problem. Even if you don’t have the backup for the hard drive and the Seagate external hard drive fails to load, we will help you out. Download TechSoftwareLogic Seagate external hard drive data recovery software for Mac and restore all the deleted files intact.
If you are looking for a good external hard drive for Mac, Seagate Backup Plus drives can be the appropriate option. You can choose from options like Portable, Slim, and Ultra Touch. However, one of the common problems that users encounter is that Seagate Backup Plus for Mac isn’t getting recognized, or the external hard drive isn’t showing up at all. In such a case, you can’t access the files on the hard drive or can’t see the files on your external hard drive. Thus, it is necessary to know why and how you have to fix the hard drive when this happens.
But, first, let’s find out how this happens.
Reasons Seagate External Hard Drive Isn’t Showing Up on Mac
Seagate External hard drive not detected or recognized is a common problem. At times, you will find the external hard drive option greyed out in Disk Utility. There can be various reasons for this problem. Now, let’s find out about the probable causes of this issue.
- A recent software update or macOS update might lead to various incompatibility issues.
- Malfunctioning connections like a broken USB cable or wobbly USB port.
- The hard drive is password-protected or encrypted, particularly for Seagate Backup Ultra Touch hard drive.
- An outdated disk driver appearing when you have not updated the hardware and software for a long time.
- Faltering power supply, particularly if the MacBook has low in power or drive needs extra power resources.
- External hard drive issues such as bad sectors.
- Malware attacks coming from recently downloaded applications, files, or patches.
List of Available Solutions to Solve the Seagate External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Error Message
These are only a few reasons why the Seagate external hard drive isn’t getting detected.
So, now, the question is, how can you fix the issue of Seagate External Hard Drive not showing up. That’s what we are going to talk about in the next section.
1)Have Some Basic Checks
When the Seagate external hard drive doesn’t show up on the Mac computer, do a few routine checks first.
- Use a different USB port or cable to check if the cable or USB port is bad.
- Re-plug the external drive and check if the drive light is on. You need a power adapter for your Desktop Drive.
- Connect the external hard drive to another PC or Mac to check if it’s compatible with it.
If everything seems to be OK, you can use the following solutions to fix the issue.
2)Show Seagate External Hard Drive on Mac Desktop and Finder
For some, if the Seagate external hard drive isn’t showing up, they mean that they can’t locate it on Mac desktop or on Finder. In such a case, resettle Finder Preferences to show Seagate Backup Plus drive.
Here are the instructions you need to follow:-
- Go to Finder, then on Preference. Under this, you will find the option ‘Sidebar’, click on this.
- Check the ‘External disks’ box in the Sidebar tab to find the Seagate Backup Plus external drive in Finder.
- Now, move over to the ‘General’ tab.
- Under ‘Show these items on desktop’, there is ‘External disk’, check this box.
- The Seagate external hard drive will immediately appear on the Mac desktop.
3)Analyze If Seagate External Hard Drive is Being Displayed in Disk Utility
Is your Seagate hard drive not working, even after you set ‘External disk’ to show up on desktop or Finder? Check if Disk Utility is detecting the Seagate hard drive.
3.1)Disk Utility Displays Seagate External Hard Drive Shows Up
In case Seagate external hard drive is listed by Disk Utility, you can breathe a sigh of relief. It means your hardware hasn’t incurred any serious issues.
Now, you will have to follow the solution given below to fix the problem of the incognito Seagate hard drive.
3.1.1)Force Mount the External Hard Drive
At times, the external hard drives don’t get detected automatically when mounted in Mac. However, there is a way to mount the Seagate hard drive in Disk Utility, manually.
- Open Disk Utility.
- From the left sidebar, right-click on the Seagate external hard drive. Thereafter, click on the button, ‘Mount’.
3.1.2)Repair the External Hard Drive Using First Aid
In case the above method fails to work, it can be that there are some file system errors on the external hard drive. So, check and verify your Seagate hard drive using First Aid.
3.1.3)Restore Data and Reformat the External Hard Drive
Has First Aid failed to correct the errors on the external hard drive? Don’t worry! You have another option in hand, and that is to reformat the Seagate drive. However, be careful. It’s going to remove the stored data on the external hard drive. So, if you have important data stores on the hard drive and there’s no backup, recover the data from the unrecognized Seagate drive using TechSoftwareLogic Mac recovery software.
3.2)Disk Utility Doesn’t Show Seagate Hard Drive
In case Disk Utility doesn’t show the external hard drive, it might be having some physical issues. In such a case, you can talk to the Seagate support team.
Related Blog Post:- macOS Big Sur (11.0) Data Recovery Software
However, if your data is lost from the Seagate external hard drive, just download TechSoftwareLogic Mac Data Recovery Software. It can easily fix the issue in no time. The software is available for free download. It comes with some amazing features. The software is 100% safe and can restore data accurately.